Lemon Bars

• 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 2 1/2 tbsp coconut flour
  • 1 tbsp lemon zest, finely grated
  • Pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 350.

Coat 9x9 baking dish with coconut oil or butter.

Combine all crust ingredients in food processor until a "crumble" forms.

Press crust evenly into the bottom of pan.

Using a fork, prick a few holes into crust.

Bake for 10 minutes.

While crust is baking, combine all filling ingredients in a food processor until well incorporated.

When done, remove crust from oven and pour filling evenly over top.

Continue to bake for 15-20 minutes, or until filling is set, but still has a little jiggle.

Cool completely on wire rack. (You can also chill in the fridge if desired, to further set the filling).

• Preparation time: 15 minutes
  • Cook time: 25 minutes
  • Total time: 40 minutes

Comments

1. says

The cinnamon raisin ezekiel is only bread I by for myself. It’s so delicious and gluten-free and I love it! Also all your recipes are delicious so I wish we could just be best friends and crossfit a little and bake together all the time haha

• Ruby says

Ezekiel “cinnamon raisin bread “is not Gluten Free. Wish they would make GF breads that are not loaded with too many starches. So far all Ezekiel products which are GF contain mostly white and brown rice , no whole GF grains.
      Some of the most nutritious GF bread is made by Grindstone Bakery, they have a delish cinnamon raisin bread made with real GF grains and not just potato, tapioca or rice starches.
      BTW ,I’m not in any way affiliated with grindstonebakery.com

• Natalie says

Thank you for posting this! I was going to comment on the GF status of Ezekiel bread. First time I hear about grindstone. Thanks for sharing!

2. Kim says

Sounds great! Can you replace the coconut flour with almond flour or gluten free flour, do you think? I’m wanting to make these soon but can’t seem to find any coconut flour within a 50 mile radius (slight exaggeration here, but you get the gist! I can’t believe my Trader Joe’s didn’t have coconut flour). Those bars look amazing.

3. Kelli says

These were delicious! I accidentally doubled the lemon juice but it was exactly what I was looking for with the tart lemon taste. I was especially excited to find this recipe that I didn’t have to grind my own nuts for the crust!!

4. lauren says

You are hilarious!! I stumbled across your blog while looking up paleo zucchini bread, i have fallen off the paleo wagon so to speak during summer break and need to get back on..lol. What a breath of fresh air to read your posts.. i am laughing at my computer screen as i read them, can’t wait to try these lemon bars, i love, love ,love lemon meringue pie. And the zucchini bread looks delicious too. keep up the great work

5. Cindy says

You are amazing, I grabbed two of your recipes will try this week and see how they work out. I love your sense of humor and self confidence.!!!
    Enjoying the depth of experience with diet and recipes!!!!!!

6. Crystal says

I loved this, especially the crust! Yummers. Any ideas on a good egg substitution? I used flax seed and it didn’t work so well. Thanks!

7. Jory says

I’ve made these bars from your recipe several times and it’s actually my most sucessful paleo dessert – everyone absolutely loves them, including people who eat sugar and flour and all that stuff all the time. I’m going to try the recipe with lime instead of lemon tonight – let you guys know how it goes.

8. Lea says

I just made these whole 30 friendly! I substituted the honey for coconut butter and they still turned out awesome! Thanks for the recipe :)

9. Amanda says

Love your blog! I’m going to try the aptly-named lemon bars this weekend – maybe my caveman will grunt positively!

10. Elisha says

I don’t follow the paleo/primal diet strictly (heck, I love peanut butter too much and almond butter is too pricey) but, I do try and stay gluten free (by choice, no allergies). So I subbed natural peanut butter for the almond butter. These came out FANTASTIC and I’m a huge lemon bar fan. My brother loves lemon bars too and eats the typical diet of white flour and sugar. He loved these so they passed the test.

*Just a side note, I noticed someone said they had a hard time finding coconut flour near them. I order mine on Amazon or iherb pretty cheap. Cheaper than I can buy it in the store for. I order it in 3 pound bags if I can and it lasts a long while because you never use very much in a recipe.

Trackbacks

1. […] 46. Lemon Bars Lemon bars are a sweet and sour way to get your dessert cravings covered. These lemon bars use lemon juice and lemon zest to give them that distinct lemony taste, and leave out the white sugar, the all-purpose flour, and the low-quality butter used in traditional recipes for lemon bars. The end result is a clean pan of lemony goodness that you don’t have to feel bad about eating. Almond flour and coconut flour replace the all-purpose flour to keep these grain free, and honey is used to sweeten things up. […]