Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Bread

• 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 banana, mashed
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips (or dark chocolate chips)

Preheat oven to 350 and line bread pan with parchment paper.

In a medium size bowl, combine coconut flour, tapioca flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, and baking soda.

In a large bowl. combine banana, eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla.

Slowly add dry ingredients to wet, mixing until all are well combined.

Fold in chocolate chips.

Pour batter evenly into bread pan.

Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until middle is almost completely set and a toothpick comes out clean in the center.

Allow to cool, slice, and enjoy!

• Preparation time: 5 minutes
  • Cook time: 30 minutes
  • Total time: 35 minutes

1. Suzanne says

I used to do high intensity workouts 5 days a week obsessively. Two years ago I started seeing a wonderful kinesiologist who explained that, for my body type (celiac, hashimoto,etc) that was the worst thing for me – that I should focus more on yoga and less strenuous activities. I now limit high intensity workouts to only 1 or 2 days a week and I feel so much better for it! The only downfall is I had to cut back on my eating, but so it goes. Hang in there. You’ll find what works best for you.

2. says

I can relate to your thyroid issues. I have a very special pituitary and thyroid myself. Are you going to see an ND? They are well trained to deal with thyroid issues. VS an endocrinologist who will just look at your TSH. Which we both know doesn’t help you feel better šŸ˜‰

3. Rachel says

I know exactly how you feel – I’m on week 6 off of CrossFit for the same reason! It was a painful decision, but I am feeling better. Good luck and know you are not alone…

4. Jenn says

Good for you for listening to your body. And here’s the thing: CrossFit isn’t going anywhere! If you’re able and ready to return….it will still be there. Fran will still suck, Double Unders won’t have changed….and a barbell will still hold weight. You have to do the best thing for you….RIGHT NOW….so you can continue to do the things you love well into your later years.

5. says

Listening to your body is so so important, and it takes a lot of emotions (good and bad!) to figure out what to do when something is out of whack. And like Jenn said in a previous comment, CrossFit will be there when you are ready to come back. So take this time to figure out those stupid hormones (trust me, I’ve been having my own issues this summer…), and just try to live each day happy!

6. Alisha says

Good luck with your journey! Taking Armour thyroid instead of synthroid really helped me, it was a little more difficult to find a doctor that prescribes it but it made quite a difference and was worth it! “Stop the thyroid madness” was a great website resource.

7. says

Wow what a mature stance.. I think that is so amazing you can put your ego aside and realize what your body needs. I know a few people in similar situations still pushing their bodies with these intense workouts like cross fit and it is doing exactly what you said.. Draining their adrenals. And who wants adrenal exhaustion at 30 :S !! Stick to gentle workouts, yoga, bike rides and see how you feel. Have you ever thought going to a Naturopathic Doctor? I work at a clinic here in Canada and we do lots if work with thyroid problems, autoimmune etc!

8. Anna says

Taylor! I have to tell you how much I relate to this post!! I was at my absolute healthiest when I decided to join crossfit. For me it was about taking it to the “next level”. I had been eating paleo with the exception of a few things so when I started crossfit I went 100% with it, I ate meat with every meal. I was ALWAYS hungry, no matter how much I ate. I then developed hypoglycemia pretty severely so much so I had to leave work mid shift and would have breakdowns during a shift. When I saw a specialist I found out I had fatty liver disease, multiple gallstones, and severe low blood sugar levels. All in all I quit crossfit and even have to switch my diet almost completely. So, after that vent I just wanted to tell you I totally relate. I rapidly gained weight the 3 months I did crossfit (not muscle!) even though I have been the same weight for the past 1.5 years, ever sice I started eating clean and moderately excercising. Just in case you needed to know… You’re not alone.

9. says

I’ve been looking for a new delicious banana bread recipe to make with all my rotten bananas hanging around! Thanks for sharing and I feel your pain with hypothyroidism. Crohn’s, colitis, hypothyroidism, and the list goes on…but eating paleo and autoimmune paleo (AIP) has helped a lot. I wish you all the luck and you will get through it!

Amazing blog!

10. Kyla says

First of all: I think you’re awesome and amazingly mature to make that decision. I know it must be so hard.

Secondly: I just made this bread as muffin and holy delicious. I also subbed honey for the maple syrup, and baked about 24 minutes and they absolutely rock. Thank you so much for all of the amazing and easy recipes you provide to us!

11. says

Taylor this sounds amazing! In non-food related things I’m sorry to hear about your struggles with hypothyroidism and hope that by dialing things back in terms of physical stress that you are able to get things under control and feeling good most importantly. Your definitely making the right steps and doing what your body is asking and needs which will only help you in the long run. xo

12. says

I’m clearly not in the chocolate chip minority. If it’s chocolate, it always makes it better.

I can tell you taking a break will be the best thing for your body. You don’t need the extra stress. And why it’s sad you can’t do your crossfit, you’ll come out on top all the same, and your mind, body and soul will thank you later.